Sickle Cell Education Series Episode 3: Treatments, How are they meant to treat me?
Welcome to Episode 3 of our Sickle Cell Education Series, a comprehensive and engaging year-long course tailored for individuals with sickle cell disorder.
Title: Treatments - Are they meant to treat me?
In this engaging episode, we'll focus on:
- Sickle Cell Treatments: Dive into the various therapeutic approaches that help manage and alleviate symptoms.
- Science Behind Treatments: Understand the underlying mechanisms of treatments and their roles in your journey towards improved health and well-being.
- Dr. Kofi Anie: Learn from a renowned psychologist about the psychology of patients and treatment, and the significance of mental health in managing sickle cell disease.
- How Our Body Processes Medication: Grasp the basics of drug metabolism and how it impacts treatment efficacy and safety.
- General Treatments for Sickle Cell Patients: Get an overview of common treatment options, their benefits, and potential drawbacks.
- Live Q&A with Dr. Almusawy: Engage with a Consultant Haematologist during a live Q&A session, addressing your questions and concerns.
- Case Study Questions: Apply your newfound knowledge by examining real-life scenarios and discussing potential treatment strategies.
Join us as we empower you with knowledge, helping you effectively advocate for yourself in any healthcare setting, while tackling various topics such as anemia, blood results, pharmacology, and the psychology of living with a chronic disease throughout the year.
Donations go towards planning of more sickle cell events and workshops
Healthcare professional team: Dr. Rossby Awadzi, Dr. Layan Allawi, Dr. Kofi Anie, Dr. Joshua Setsoafia, Dr. Samuel Kalu, Dr. Mohamed Abdi, Dr. Dona Reddiar, Dr. Anjola Odulaja and Nurse Sandra West
Expert Sickle Team: Miss Jamila Simms, Mrs Laurel Brumant, Miss Babbie Peters and Mr. Paul Dockery, Miss Rhea Richards, Mr Anthony Mason